Social media is a double-edged sword. As much as it’s great to be able to connect more easily with the right people and potential employers by accessing online networks, it is also much easier for potential employers to research you.
In fact, the first thing many employers do is… google you!
Many, if not all employers these days WILL check your social media profiles.
It’s of the utmost importance that you do NOT post anything online that can work against you professionally. Of course be yourself, post fun things, but beware there are subjects best left off social media.
For example see below subjects or areas that are a definite no-no:
– drink driving and / or excessive drinking
– accidents or dangerous behaviour
– issues with authority (such as the police)
– any behaviour that deals with bullying or degradation of others
– sexual comments or explicit photographs
– inappropriate pictures
To help you manage your Social Media:
- Ask your friends to be aware of this also, if they post something on your timeline that is inappropriate, it could effect your future.
- Monitor your social media regularly (daily) and delete anything that is inappropriate.
In other words, if you do not look like a responsible, intelligent, mature and articulate person online, this perception could invade your professional life. Remember, once it’s online, you can NEVER take it back.
Ask yourself – if I was a Manager/Business Owner/ Recruiter and saw this, would I still hire me?
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I am
waiting for your further post thanks once again.